Cresent Fine Furniture is made with pride. From lumber selection to the final inspection, the focus is on providing high quality furniture that meets not only Cresent’s standards but yours as well.
The following recommendations are typical care advice for any premium quality, solid wood furniture. Following these simple guidelines will help preserve the beauty and soundness of your Cresent furniture for generations of use.
- Caring for fine furniture is much simpler than most people realize. In most cases, dusting regularly with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth is sufficient. We recommend using a slightly dampened cloth for cleaning solid wood furniture. Be sure to dry the surface gently after cleaning to avoid water spotting.
- An easy cleaning tip for your solid wood furniture.At Cresent we use a multi-step finishing process applying multiple stains and sealers as we slowly build to that rich, deep, clear finish that is a characteristic of Cresent. Here’s our tip for cleaning your Cresent furniture; WINDEX. Yes, Windex with ammonia. It removes all the dirt, oils and waxy buildup without damaging the finish. It dries quickly with no residue. Take it from our finishing experts: spray a little Windex on a clean dry cotton or poly cloth, wipe with the grain and watch our finish shine.
- Silicone-based polishes are not the best choice for fine finishes. The most frequent problems associated with silicone polishes are over-polishing, combining them with other products, and future restoration issues.
- Rubber, cork, vinyl or plastic products can damage finishes. Use caution when placing telephones, clocks and electronics on a finished surface, as most have rubber or plastic footpads which can react with a lacquer finish. Avoid placing vinyl or cork placemats, coasters or tablecloths directly on a solid wood surface. To prevent damage, use a protective layer (cotton, linen or felt cloth) between the object and the finish.
- Nail polish remover, hair spray, perfume and potpourri (and any other products that contain solvents) can damage wood finishes. Do not place these products directly on a wood surface, and avoid using them near any solid wood furniture.
- Avoid exposing the furniture finish to items creating extreme heat, cold or moisture. Use protective padding under these items to avoid damaging the finish. Use caution when placing items that radiate continuous heat on solid wood furniture. For example, some computers or stereos can raise the surface temperature by up to 20 degrees. Prolonged use without protecting the finish may damage your furniture.
- Objects should be lifted rather than dragged across a finished surface. Expect some small surface scratches to appear on some finishes through normal use. Furniture wax can minimize this occurrence in many cases, but be sure to test the product and follow manufacturer's instructions.
- Avoid exposing your furniture to strong sunlight. Unfiltered ultraviolet (UV) rays will discolor and damage wood and finishes over time. In the event that the piece must be placed in direct sunlight, be prepared for it to darken more quickly and periodically move lamps and other decorative accessories around to prevent lighter areas from forming. Occasionally turning the piece will also help even out the aging process in lighter-finished pieces. Please note that some wood species, particularly cherry, darken naturally with age. This effect is particularly noticeable on light finishes.
- Controlling relative humidity and temperature is important to the long-term life of fine wood furniture. Cresent furniture is constructed to allow for natural fluctuations of temperature and humidity. For instance, solid tops will expand slightly in the summer and contract in the dryer winter months without any negative effects. If an atmospheric change is too drastic, or humidity and temperature levels too extreme one way or the other, your furniture can be damaged.
It is important to test any cleaning or protection product in an inconspicuous area before using. Please follow manufacturer's instructions carefully when using any product on your Cresent furniture. Always apply care products in the same direction as the wood grain, not across it or in circles, to avoid leaving visible streaking or scratching.
Back to Top